Thursday, August 12, 2010

Summer is not over yet....


Back to school supplies have hit the stores and fall fashions are in the windows. As August quickly flies by I can’t help but wonder where the summer went. It feels like just yesterday I was grilling out for Memorial Day and now Labor Day is just around the corner. While retailers may be trying to get my mind on fall, I am still focused on the fresh food of summer.


A few weeks back I went to a local farmers market in my neighborhood. I hope to be organized enough one day to buy a bulk of that fresh food at once; however I have learned I would rather buy small amounts than see it go bad in my fridge (a terrible feeling for any foodie).

When I went to the farmers market I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to make, so I allowed the market itself to provide my inspiration. I was sold upon seeing the heirloom tomatoes and included a cute baby eggplant to go with it. What I would make with that I didn’t know at the time, but the one thing I knew was that I wanted to keep the flavors simple.

This summer more than usual, I have been obsessed with making toasted open face sandwiches. They are extremely simple to make and can be done with just about any ingredients on hand. What I love about this dish is that I find it to be in between making a pizza and a sandwich. The bread resembles a crust ready to be filled with toppings, but at the same time the perfect individual portions brings a level of joy that only a sandwich can deliver. It’s truly the best of both worlds. When I came home with the eggplant and tomatoes, it didn’t take long for me to figure out what to make.

A tomato, mozzarella and basil sandwich is a classic summer dish, but I decided to put a new spin on it with the addition of the eggplant. What resulted was a fresh balance of flavors that truly tasted like summer on a plate. The eggplant provided a thicker and heartier texture to the dish, without taking away from the sweetness of the tomato. I had no idea such a simple addition would add so much, but isn’t that what experimenting in the kitchen is all about?


It would be a lie if I said I wasn’t excited for the flavors of fall to come into season. It’s truly one of my favorite times of year as pumpkin, cinnamon and apples fill the air. Yet, during the 90 degree days of August my mind will still be on that tomato, basil, mozzarella and eggplant.

Open- Faced Mozzarella, Eggplant and Tomato Sandwiches
(Note: I tend to free hand the ratio of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, below is an estimate you may do it to your own taste)

Ingredients:
1 loaf of your favorite crusty bread (Ciabatta, Italian, French baguette), cuti into 6 slices
1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 Heirloom tomatoes ( or any tomatoes you have on hand), sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
6 slices of fresh mozzarella
Fresh basil leaves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice bread into 6 slices and place on cookie sheet.
Combine the sliced eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Allow to sit for 5- 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
Place an equal amount of tomatoes and eggplant on the sliced bread. Top with fresh mozzarella.  Place in oven and bake 10- 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.  Top with basil and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment