Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Healthy Ice Cream: Yes, you read that correctly

I can rarely end a night without a little something sweet. One of my absolute favorite sweet treats is ice cream. One of the main reasons I love it is for the creamy, smooth texture. However, I don’t love the high amount of calories and fat that comes along for the ride. My search was on for a healthy ice cream, but it sounds impossible right? Let’s just say nothing is impossible and if you enjoy the flavor of bananas- YOU MUST KEEP READING.

In the June issue of Cooking Light, they did a small feature on different ways to make treats with a banana. They all sounded pretty good, but the one that immediately caught my attention was for quick and easy banana ice cream. It didn’t call for an ice cream machine, just a plan banana, a blender or food processor and any additional flavors of you’re choosing. It seemed too good to be true and I had to find out for myself.

I had my doubts that this would taste anything like the texture of ice cream, but I was willing to go along with it. All you had to do was place peeled ripe bananas in the freezer. Once they are frozen you simply add them to your blender or food processor. It’s really that simple.

This is where the fun begins; you can add any additional flavors you like. I chose to add some peanut butter and a tiny amount of agave. I added the peanut butter once the bananas began to get creamy, but were not completely unfrozen.

After extra flavors are added, you continue to pulse until the bananas are completely smooth and creamy. What results is the texture of soft- serve ice cream. At this point you are probably saying how come I did not know about this creation sooner, because that was my exact thought after the first bite.

I am sooooooo anxious to try this with Nutella, because I can only imagine how heavenly that will be. You could also include it in an ice cream sundae with toppings (caramel would be delicious) and whipped cream. I know that takes away from the health benefits, but at least the ice cream is nutritious.

Enjoy and please share your own creations with me if you make this delicious treat.

3 comments:

  1. An ice cream can somehow refresh your mind, specially when a day is really hot. I love the chocolate ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you just made me sooooo anxious to try it real soon. Sorbets really take away all the stress the day gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and this is so simple! Great with peanut butter or Nutella mixed in!

    ReplyDelete