Thursday, July 29, 2010

Early Riser

I have always loved the fact that I am a morning person. There is something so peaceful about the early morning hours, and while some prefer to dedicate those hours to sleep, I can’t help but savor them.


Last Saturday I woke up at 6 AM, not to an alarm clock, but the incredible booming of thunder. I opened my window, to see the rain showering my window. Rain instantly brings out a inner feeling of comfort, the type of weather that makes us want to cozy up with a blanket. I am not saying I could handle rain every day, but on certain mornings when you are not forced to rush out the door, I wrap myself in fleece, and listen to the rain fall.

When I think of comfort food, my mind instantly goes to breakfast. On days I am up extra early, I spend the extra time to go all out with homemade pancakes. As they require more time than an omelet or simple oatmeal, they truly feel like a special treat.

I have no shame in admitting I grew up on Bisquick. It was a common ritual for my father and I to make pancakes on the weekend, and every batter always started the same way.. I have since moved on from Bisquick to experiment with different homemade recipes and new flavors, but it’s those early memories of making weekend pancakes that cemented my love for breakfast. 

I have experimented with different pancake recipes over the years; some coming out better than others, but one flavor I have never tried was blueberry. Since I had a fridge full of fresh Michigan blueberries I knew it was meant to be. I went to the ultimate source” The Food Network website” to find a recipe and the first recipe to catch my eye was made by Ina Garten. If there is one thing I have learned in the kitchen, following an Ina Garten recipe has always led to success, from entrĂ©es to dessert.



The recipe featured bananas, rather than blueberries, but after reading the glorious reviews I knew this was the recipe I wanted to use and assumed that blueberries would be an acceptable substitution for the bananas. The recipe called for the basic pancake components, milk, eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla and salt. However, a surprise ingredient that caught my eye was sour cream. I figured it was involved for the banana, as I often find it as part of most banana recipes, but I thought it would add a nice texture for the pancake with or without banana. I also separated the eggs in the recipe and folded in the egg whites last. I read it helps create a lighter pancake, a goal I am always after.


There is a general notion that the first pancake of a batter is a tester pancake, and that is often the case when I make pancakes. However, with this recipe every pancake from start to finish came out light and fluffy.

It is mornings such as that I am truly glad to be an early riser.


Blueberry Pancakes

Recipe Adapted from Ina Garten

1 ½ cups flour

3 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1 ½ tsp. kosher salt

½ cup sour cream

¾ cup plus 1 tbsp. milk

2 eggs, separated

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 tsp. lemon zest

Unsalted Butter

1 ½ cups blueberries

Directions:

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, egg yolks, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing just until combined.

By hand or with a mix master, whip the egg whites until they reach a stiff peak stage and can hold their shape out of the bowl. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, just until combined.

Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium low- heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan, about ¼ cup for each pancake. Distribute blueberries on the top of the pancake. Cook until bubbles appear on top of the pancake and flip. Cook for another minute or so, or until lightly browned.

Continue with the rest of the batter.

Serve with more blueberries, warm maple syrup and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment