Thursday, August 19, 2010

l’ arte d’ arrangiarsi – The art of making something out of nothing


This past weekend I saw the movie Eat, Pray, Love. I read the book and loved it, and I was happy to see the movie was an accurate representation. The trip I couldn’t wait to see brought to life was her portion of time in Italy.

I have never been to Italy, but there is no doubt in my mind I will make it there one day. They have a passion for life; that I want to experience and live. Until the opportunity comes I am going to take a lesson from them and begin making art out of nothing.

In Italy food is not attached to thoughts of low-fat or low- carb and whether it’s frozen or fresh, so why do I? Why can’t I simply enjoy food for what it is? I  know the feeling of allowing myself to enjoy a piece of cake, or freeing myself from worrying about what diet I will be on next. It is a feeling of happiness, but I only let it last for so long before guilt replaces it. An Italian would never feel guilty for taking second helpings, and why should they?

I already allow myself to feel guilty for so much. Like most of us do I turn to food to ease my feelings of guilt and as a result only feel more guilt. It’s a terrible cycle and I don’t have to do this.

I don’t have to over eat or put on twenty pounds to lose this guilt, I simply have to focus on food as an opportunity to nourish my mind, body and spirit. If I allow myself to enjoy a meal without feeling awful a minute later, I won’t feel the same cravings to do it every day.

So what does making art out of nothing mean to me? It means looking at every meal as more than something to eat, but as an opportunity to try new flavors, create memories and connect with the cultures and people that surround us.

One of my favorite Italian dishes is gnocchi. It is a perfect example of making art out of nothing. Topped off with a pour of olive oil, lemon, garlic, a few veggies, it's comfort on a plate. It’s the kind of meal you can’t help but pair with a crusty piece of bread and a tall glass of wine. Now that’s a reason to celebrate.


For dessert my art comes from experimentation. Adding a bit of extract to a frosting can make a world of difference. Even turning a frosting pink rather than leaving it white can cheer up a cookie or cupcake. My belief is that when it comes to baking or cooking it’s not about who can make the best rosette out of frosting, but who can bring the most passion to a dish. Even if it’s just the addition of one ingredient, that is where true art lies for me.


Gnocchi with spinach and lemon
1 pkg. of store bought gnocchi ( or homemade would be even better)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup onion, chopped
3 cups of spinach
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese

Bring water to a boil and cook gnocchi according to package directions. It will cook very quickly. They are done when they begin to float to the top.  Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet heat the olive oil and garlic over medium-low heat. Add the onion and saute for 1 minute.  Add the spinach (it will cook down), lemon juice and zest. Cook until spinach is just wilted.

Toss with the gnocchi and add salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.

Serve and enjoy with crusty bread or a side salad.

Note: The picture above has chicken that I included from dinner the night before. The addition of chicken or shrimp would be delicous in this recipe.


Raspberry  Frosting
(Pictured on cookie above)
Recipe adapted from A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tsp. Raspberry extract
Red Food Coloring

Directions:

Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth.

Add the powdered sugar gradually, scraping down the sides as needed.

Add the raspberry extract and a few drops of food coloring. Beat until smooth.

Use on your favorite sugar cookie or for cupcakes.

8 comments:

  1. I like the two recipes, It gives me courage to have time to enjoy cooking at home .Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    Thanks for posting comments. I am so happy to hear you like the recipes.

    Getting good comments is what inspires me to keep writing.

    Cheers and have fun in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post, thanx for the wonderful post, looking forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Becky! I am so glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate the sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Nice pics, thanx for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadie, Thank you for your nice comments, I am glad you enjoy the recipes and pictures! Good luck in the kitchen and feel free to share your thoughts on future recipes, I love to hear comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice food preparation. It's good to have this kind of stuff, I really enjoy reading your blog post.Thank you for sharing looking forward to read more about your blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Allison! Appreciate the comment! So glad you enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete