Saturday, February 6, 2010

Chocolate, Cake, Candy… Must be Valentine’s Day



Finding that special Valentine’s Day treat can turn into a difficult task. Chocolate is a must, but deciding whether to put it into a cake, cookie or candy is where the problem lies. Making all three would be my favorite option, but unfortunately I have to draw a line somewhere. When I noticed a recipe for Red Velvet Cake balls on the fabulous blog Bakerella, It was the perfect recipe to get a little bit of everything. It is covered in chocolate, looks like candy, but is actually filled with cake.

While a variety of cakes would work for this dessert (and I plan to experiment so keep your eye out) there is something so appealing and striking about red velvet cake. When you cut it open the rich red color blends so beautifully with the dark and bold chocolate surrounding it. Of course, for Valentine’s Day it couldn’t be a better choice.

What I really loved about the recipe was taking a perfectly cooked cake and crumbling it up into a bowl. For some this may sound like a horrific idea, but for me it was a major relief in the baking process. Every time I bake a cake there are always two moments of fear:

1) Releasing the cake from the pan in one piece

2) Not ruining the cake as I decorate it.

Follow this recipe and you will see why those fears simply disappear from your mind.

The original recipe on Bakerella called for red velvet cake mix and a 16 ounce can of cream cheese frosting. I have no problem using help from the store as I believe homemade food is food that carries your love, not necessarily the level of effort. However, for health reasons and my love for it I tend to make products from scratch as much as I can.

 I debated whether to use a mix or homemade for this recipe. For sake of time and because it was my first time making it I decided to use a mix. However, since I love the taste of homemade frosting ten times better than store bought I did choose to use homemade cream cheese frosting instead. I think that’s a fair trade off.

Ingredients:
1 box of red velvet cake mix or a homemade red velvet cake (13X9)
16 ounces cream cheese frosting
1 package of chocolate bark

First you bake the cake according to the directions on the package or based on your recipe. Make sure to let cool before going on to the next step.


Then you can either make your cream cheese frosting or get the store bought 16 ounce can.

Once the cake is cooled the fun begins. Crumble it into a bowl and top with cream cheese frosting. Prepare to get your hands messy because the next step is best done by hand.


Mix the cake and frosting together until the frosting is completely blended in with the cake.


Then you want to roll the cake/frosting combo into round balls and place on a baking sheet covered in wax paper. You should get close to 50 balls depending on the size you choose to make them.

Then place in the freezer to chill, you can do it in the refrigerator, but the freezer will chill them faster. Leave them in for about an hour if in the freezer or longer if in the fridge. Melt your chocolate bark for dipping.

Once the cake balls are chilled, dip them into the chocolate using a spoon. If the cake balls are cold enough the chocolate should harden quickly. You can use regular chocolate or white chocolate.


While they are so beautiful to look at, it won't be long before your taking that first bite.


I chose to dip the ones in white chocolate only half- way, so both colors could show.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment