Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Would you ever order dessert first?


Every child has heard the phrase, “If you don’t finish your dinner you can’t have dessert.” It’s a threat that has worked for generations and manages to get kids to eat their greens. As adults we continue to follow the pattern we were taught and finish our meal before indulging in dessert. It’s the same routine in every part of the world, but if given the chance would you reverse it? With my huge sweet tooth, I often thought I would easily be fine reversing the order. Yet, when I saw this clip from the upcoming movie “Remember Me” it made me think about it a little closer. Take a look for yourself and if you’re a Robert Pattinson fan you will definitely want to watch it.
At first glance, I thought that sounds like a wonderful meal. Whether you eat dessert before or after your meal, you still end up eating the same amount. However, when I pictured myself actually eating dessert first, I realized it’s not something I would enjoy as much as I thought. 

I may read the dessert menu first and even pick my dessert out before I decide on my entrée, but half the joy comes from knowing there is
something decadent and sweet waiting for you at the end. Just like when you read a book or watch a movie, if you skip to the end the rest of the book doesn’t carry the same satisfaction or joy. To end a meal with a salad would leave me feeling unfulfilled. Dessert serves a special purpose. Some may say it’s just because the meal needs to end on a sweet note, but I believe for just a moment it allows us to forget our worries and focus on the moment that was highly anticipated.
Dessert may be served last because of tradition or because we were simply taught to eat that way. For me it’s not about societal rules, it’s simply that the best things in life are worth the wait.


CIMG3876CIMG3966

No comments:

Post a Comment