Friday, November 6, 2009

What is Homemade?


Homemade food has an ambience surrounding it that we can smell, taste and observe. As a foodie I have always believed in the notion that homemade food means putting together ingredients to create something entirely new showcasing your passion, creativity and love. Whether it’s the frosting on a cake or pancakes in the morning, I will put in the extra effort. I don’t do this necessarily for taste; I do it for the fulfillment of becoming connected to the food and sharing a part of my love with others. Then there are the days I can’t help but wonder if food needs to be truly homemade to feel that love? Just like in gift giving, isn’t it the thought that matters most of all?

My grandma raised all of her children with the same belief, “every dinner will be served hot.” She was a working woman with four children, but that never stopped her from putting a warm meal on the table. I have had numerous homemade meals made by my grandma that are all fantastic, but nothing can compare to her “homemade” bread and Eggo waffles.

This bread appears homemade in every aspect, but no kneading is required for this dough. It is prepared dough from the store that may not take 2 hours to make, but enjoying that first piece of bread when I walk in her door let's me know exactly where I am. Even her Eggo waffles in the morning have that special grandma touch that I can’t recreate at home (as crazy as that sounds). These things may not fit the standard definition of homemade, but I would not trade them in for anything.

There are certain benefits to homemade, including control over ingredients and clear health benefits. As a result, I have found a way to have a balance of both in my life. When it comes to Macaroni and Cheese I no longer even think of picking up a boxed version after realizing how truly simple homemade is. In terms of dessert there is no doubt homemade is the preferred choice, but sometimes a homemade touch to store bought carries just as much love. I used to rely on the Reddi- Whip and Cool Whip, until I realized homemade whipped cream and frosting can be done in minutes with a few simple ingredients. In the end it all comes down to eating what will make you feel good physically and mentally.

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
There are SO many recipes to try but here is the formula I often rely on:
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Melt 6 Tbsp. of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, once butter is melted add in ½ cup of flour, this creates a roux. You will whisk that until the flour is absorbed.
- While whisking, add a mixture of 2 cups milk and 2 cups half and half to the roux.
- Whisk the mixture until it is thickened and smooth. Remove from heat.
For a very basic macaroni and cheese you can add Sharp Cheddar and parmesan, about 4 cups of Sharp Cheddar and 1 cup of parmesan. For more creativity you can experiment with gruyere cheese or even add some goat cheese or blue cheese for extra creaminess.
Once the pasta is combined with the cheese, place in a baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until bread crumbs get golden brown and crisp.


Store- bought Angel Food Cake with homemade whipped cream flavored with Coffee

Homemade Whipped Cream
8oz heavy cream
1.25 oz powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla
Pour heavy cream into a chilled Kitchen aid mixing bowl, with the WIRE WHISK attachment. Blend on high speed until you reach the soft peak stage, will resemble cool whip.
Then add powdered sugar and vanilla plus any other flavorings you want to try (coffee extract, maple, cocoa powder, cinnamon, etc.)
Then beat to a stiff peak, it is done when it can hold its own shape when lifted out of the bowl.
Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Decorate Angel food cake with whipped cream and a variety of toppings, such as sprinkles, nuts or fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment