Monday, November 23, 2009

What is Turkey Day without a Turkey?


The one and only Thanksgiving decoration my mom has ever put up at our house was a turkey holding up a sign saying “Next Year Try Ham.” I was never a fan of the sign since Thanksgiving for me is synonymous with turkey. My mom on the other hand would prefer a prime rib or even seafood.


Since the rest of my family tends to agree with me, turkey has always been the star of our meal. For me it’s not just the finished product that makes the turkey essential, but the entire process. Every holiday is associated with a certain food, but nothing claims more attention than the stories of success and failure over the Thanksgiving turkey. Television shows, cookbooks and even a presidential pardon have helped make the turkey an event in itself.


Thanksgiving above all is a day to spend time with those we love and be thankful for all of the blessings we have. No matter what you have on your table Thanksgiving will go on. The turkey is not important because of its flavor or the stress it causes millions of cooks, but the ability it has to connect us all on one single day. I think any food that can accomplish that is pretty special in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment