Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Food Vision: A spin on chocolate pudding


It is a child whose face lights up when they see the ice cream man or a great grandmother’s recipe that endures with every generation. There is a simple joy we find in food as children, that never really disappears, but adapts and changes as we grow. We expect chicken noodle soup when we are sick at 42, the same way we did when we were 5 years old. While there are millions of soups to choose from, we only want the one that can recreate the comfort we remember.

We all have childhood memories of food that remain with us our entire life. Some are more traditional like making Christmas cookies or gardening vegetables with your grandma. While others our more unique to our own family creating the best memories of all.

For me it is a combination that is so simple, yet one most people would never think to do. Ever since I was a little kid my dad would make the cook and serve chocolate pudding, pour it into the bowl and then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The combo of hot and cold was just crazy enough to work. Even today I can remember enjoying it 10 years ago. It’s not the most amazing food combination ever thought up or the best thing I have ever tasted, it simply comes down to thinking beyond the food in front of you.
















A few years ago my cousin told me that her mom would make the same thing, and I found out this was a creation my dad grew up on. Millions of families all over the country have cherished recipes that continue from one generation to the next, but how often do we think of the more simple things a family shares. Even the way you eat an Oreo could be connected to a family memory. When we look at food as a story it brings it the value it deserves and we can begin to understand why we eat what we eat.

Pudding and Ice Cream

1)While the classic flavor in our family is chocolate, any flavor will work. You cook it over the stove according to box instructions. However, make sure it reaches the full thickness by coming to a boil. If it does not the pudding will not hold up against the cold ice cream.

2)Pour the finished pudding into a bowl and top with ice cream (in the picture I used pumpkin ice cream).

3)Immediately serve.

While this classic version never fails, I have learned that creativity is best expressed in the kitchen. This is why I have experimented with a few special touches over the years. Occasionally, I may sprinkle in some cinnamon with the pudding or add in some chocolate chips for extra texture. The original version will never be far from my mind, but with every special touch I am starting a new creation I hope to share with my kids one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment