Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thanksgiving Traditions



I know it’s crazy but I even love going to the grocery store the final days before Thanksgiving to pick up last minute items. I know that most people would not agree with me on that, but the way it feels to be around everyone buying food for their loved ones, rushing around to make sure they get everything they need that I enjoy being a part of. Then of course the Macys Parade in the morning is a tradition, the fight over who will get to break the wishbone, and having everyone go around the table saying what their thankful for. While food is the star of the show, it’s only part of what makes Thanksgiving so special.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this month my dad and I are always put in charge of mashed potatoes for the big day. As a baker I always bring a few desserts as well. As with every family you get in the ritual of being counted on to bring a specific item. In my mom’s case it’s the pop (she has never been the cook in the family, but she is content with her role). For awhile I always brought my favorite banana cake and pumpkin squares. While I continue to bring those desserts, I also love trying something new as well. Last year, I experimented with cream puffs. They turned out good, but there was no amazement factor. So this year I made it my mission to find a new recipe that could hopefully become a new tradition I am expected to bring next year. When I discovered this recipe on epicurious for Cranberry- Apple Cake it looked simple, yet delicious and classic. With so many pies stealing the show on Thanksgiving, why not put a spin on the crust and try a cake batter over the fruit instead. In my test run it turned out wonderful and I have a feeling it could easily be brought to the table next year.




Thanksgiving proves that any meal goes beyond the food that sits in front of you. Thanksgiving is not a feast because of the large amount of food, it’s because of the enormous amount of love and comfort that surrounds you.


Easy Cranberry- Apple Cake
Recipe from: Ina Garten "How Easy is That"

Ingredients:
12 oz Fresh Cranberries, rinsed and picked over for stems
1 Granny Smith apple, peel and cored, medium- diced
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 Tbsp. orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, divided
2 eggs
1 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
1 Stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ cup sour cream
1 cup all –purpose flour
¼ tsp. kosher salt

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees

Combine Cranberries, apple, brown sugar, orange zest and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.

With an electric or standing mixer beat the eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. With the mixer on medium, add 1 cup sugar, butter, vanilla and sour cream, beat until just combined. On low speed, add the flour and salt.
Pour the fruit mixture into a 10- inch glass pie plate. Pour batter over the fruit covering it completely. Combine the remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar and 1/8 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 55- 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and it’s bubbling on the edges. Serve warm or at room temperature.


I was so eager to try it, I stole a slice before I could snap a picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment