Friday, November 5, 2010

A simple cookie, with a few surprises!!!

From the exterior these cookies don’t look extremely special. There is no frosting, sprinkles or anything yelling “pick me”. Yet this cookie has a few hidden secrets that make it extra special.



I am sure you have all had the peanut butter blossom cookies that are baked with the Hershey kiss centered on top. They are delicious, but there is no anticipation factor. Imagine if the Hershey kiss was tucked inside the cookie instead, a perfectly portioned chocolate surprise waiting for you in the center. It doesn’t take long to discover this is the first surprise in this seemingly plain cookie.


The second surprise is not visible, but it definitely makes a difference in the final appearance of the cookie. The ingredients of the cookie are pretty standard, but the addition of vanilla pudding mix takes the cookie to the next level. The pudding adds extra structure to the cookie, allowing the kiss to stay comfortably tucked inside without oozing out. It also adds an extra level of thickness that gives the cookie a puffy texture.



This is one of my signature cookie recipes, which is why I am kind of surprised I have not written a post on this cookie yet, however I quickly remembered why. When I first came up with this cookie I LOVED it so much that I made it quite a bit. I made it for the holidays, friends and practically any occasion a cookie would fit into nicely, and inevitably I had to take a break from it. However, after that first bite this week I quickly remembered why I became so addicted in the first place.

Enjoy!

Hershey Kiss Surprise Cookie

1 cup unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 pkg. vanilla pudding mix *(I usually use sugar free, and you can feel free to use any pudding flavor you like)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon
24 Hershey Kisses, any flavor you like

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Un- wrap 24 Hershey Kisses and set aside.
Combine butter, sugars and pudding mix and cream just until blended. Add eggs and vanilla.
Combine dry ingredients and whisk together. Add to cookie batter and mix just until blended.
Take a spoonful of dough and place a Hershey kiss in the center. With your hands roll the dough into a circle ball until the Hershey kiss is not visible, but tucked inside the cookie. Place on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart from one another.
Bake for 10 minutes.

Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment