Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mashed Potatoes: A Thanksgiving Conquest

Thanksgiving is a month away, which means it’s the final countdown to discover the perfect mashed potato recipe. Ever since my Dad started bringing the mashed potatoes to Thanksgiving (I became an immediate sous chef) we have had a mission to create the creamiest and fluffiest mashed potatoes ever. We do not take this mission lightly and this year we started planning months in advance.


The ingredients for mashed potatoes are not complicated; in fact there are relatively few ingredients involved. The key for successful mashed potatoes relies in the technique. Over the years my dad and I have experimented with various ideas. We tried a recipe that called for chicken stock which tasted good in the beginning, but didn’t hold up in the long run. Last year, we tried putting the potatoes through a ricer which only left them gluey and clumpy. Nevertheless, we are determined to bring together the ultimate blend of ingredients and technique and I have a strong feeling this is going to be that year.

In a practice round I tried a recipe that called for red potatoes, cream, butter, and a little garlic. When it came time to mash the potatoes, I put ¾ of the potatoes in a food processor and left the remaining potatoes in the pot. I added a few tablespoons of the warm butter- cream mixture into the food processor and mixed just until it appeared smooth. When I looked at the potatoes they appeared to be gluey, which made me very nervous (luckily we were in a practice round). In a last attempt to make the potatoes work, I combined the blended potatoes with the un -mashed potatoes and poured in the rest of the butter- cream mixture. With a potato masher I blended the two together and what resulted was a perfect mashed potato texture. It felt too simple for me, like I was missing an important step, but every bite tasted as good as the last.

While this appears to be a winning technique, I am not about to call it a day here. I am hesitant to try this technique on a larger scale and I am not sure it will work with russet or Yukon gold potatoes, which is our preferred potato for the big day.

So to anyone out there who has discovered a successful recipe and technique and can share it with the rest of us, please let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment