Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 4 Pumpkin Week: Toffee- Chocolate Pumpkin Squares

I always find it fascinating to think about how something that starts out so simple can evolve into so much more. A friendship starts with a hello, a job starts with the handshake and making change starts with that first step.




In my experience the kitchen is constantly filled with a whirlwind of ideas. I will be creating one recipe, while I am already calculating in my head how I can incorporate the idea into something else. This recipe for Toffee-Chocolate Pumpkin Bars brings together three different recipes, and I am sure any baker out there could put their own spin on it.



It all started with the simple recipe for Matzoh Toffee or Saltine Toffee. It’s the simplest and easiest recipe for a quick treat. Then I took it up a level and replaced the matzoh with a chocolate chip cookie base, topped with the toffee and another level of chocolate. Then I realized the salty factor was missing so I threw in a few pretzels for good measure.


Every fall I try to do something unique with pumpkin. If you search the web for pumpkin recipes, it doesn’t take long to be overwhelmed. So I searched my own recipes for inspiration when the connection of pumpkin and toffee hit me like a match made in heaven. From there everything flowed so simply. In the kitchen, as well as life, something that started out so simple can evolve into something you never expected, but more often than not they become the most rewarding.


Enjoy!

Warning: These are very rich and sweet, I would recommend cutting into small bite size pieces to avoid over indulging!






Toffee- Chocolate Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients:
Pumpkin cookie base:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
½ cup pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ¼ cups all- purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves


Toffee Filling:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar


Chocolate topping:
1 bag of chocolate chips


Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cream butter and sugars together, until fluffy.
3) Add eggs, pumpkin and vanilla and mix until combined.
4) Whisk together dry ingredients, and add to pumpkin batter. Mix just until combined.
5) Pour into a greased 9X 13 pan or until toothpick comes out clean. Set aside and let cool.
6) Once cookie is cooled, bring together the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir until combined and it has some thickness to it.
7) Pour on pumpkin cookie immediately, as the filling needs to be warm enough to melt the chocolate.
8) Top with chocolate chips, and as they melt spread over the top. If the chocolate is not melting quickly, you can put it into a low heat oven for about five minutes.
9) After the chocolate is melted and spread evenly, pop into the freezer for about 15 minutes or until chocolate hardens.


Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment