Friday, January 22, 2010

A story of food, love and Banana cake....

As I was doing my usual Twitter scanning the other day, I came across a post by Ruth Reichl, former Gourmet Magazine editor. After noticing the words sweet, rich and butterscotch I was immediately on her website to find the recipe for a butterscotch pudding.

Once I was there, I discovered a journal post she wrote titled Why I write about Food.” Discovering the passion underneath a talent is something I always find fascinating. As I read her eloquent explanation I began to think about my own passion for food and writing and why I find so much joy from it.

I refer to myself as a foodie, but I have often thought about what truly defines a foodie. It would be hard to find a person that did not love food. We all need it and find our own form of joy from it. Yet, when you consider yourself a foodie you are instantly put on a whole new level. A general notion comes to mind when a person is called a foodie, but society cannot create a singular definition. Being a foodie is an individual passion, defined on an individual basis.

My life as a foodie began my freshman year of high school with a recipe for banana cake. I know what you’re thinking, how can a banana cake transform someone into a foodie?

It started when I had to bring a homemade recipe for a class. I brought out an old family cookbook, found a recipe for banana cake (with no picture) and decided it would work.

At the time homemade treats were rarely found in my house and while I loved food I did not have a true value or appreciation for it.

When I made the banana cake something came over me in the process. I felt closer to the food and gained a sense of achievement knowing that I was capable of making something from scratch. I brought it to school where it gained good reviews and it was at that moment I began to see the connection food can have on all of us.

There was no looking back from that point. I became immersed in the Food Network, began to enjoy grocery shopping and saw food as more than something to eat. I started making the banana cake for family occasions and it quickly became a family staple. It is not covered in a cream cheese frosting, but is simply accessorized with a few chocolate chips scattered across the top. For those who lack a giant sweet tooth (yes people like that do exist) and for those of us who love a healthy dose of sugar it is the perfect way to end a meal.

As I write this blog post I realized that simply writing about the banana cake brings me a great deal of joy. That is why I love writing about food. It is through our words that we can excite people about food and connect our own stories. The butterscotch pudding posted by Ruth Reichl did not have any pictures but it still gained my full attention. It was all through her words that my senses were engaged.

That is why I do not have any pictures of this banana cake, but simply posted the recipe as I saw it in the cookbook. My story of the banana cake may not match the story of others and some may choose to put on their own spin to meet their tastes. I invite you to create your own memories with this banana cake, because the joy it has brought me cannot be captured in a picture.

Banana Cake recipe
Adapted from Portal to Good Cooking Vol. IV
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana
¼ cup dairy sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all- purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup semi- sweet chocolate chips

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, mashed bananas and sour cream. Mix until blended. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to banana mixture. Pour into greased round 9” circle cake pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350°F for 40- 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete